68X Mental Health Specialist
Company: Army National Guard
Location: Jersey City
Posted on: February 13, 2019
Being a Soldier isn't just about physical strength. Mental toughness is also a vital component and being able to handle the stresses of the military is crucial. Mental Health Specialists play an important role in ensuring every individual is taken care of through the care and treatment of psychiatric, drug, and alcoholic concerns.
The Mental Health Specialist assists the Guard's health care team with the management and treatment of inpatient and outpatient mental health care. Under the supervision of an Army psychiatrist, social worker, psychiatric nurse, or psychologist, you will collect and record patient data; counsel and treat patients with personal, behavioral, mental health, or substance abuse problems; and provide bedside care in hospitals.
Some of the Skills You'll Learn
• Patient care techniques
• Emergency medical techniques
• Enjoy helping and caring for others
• Ability to communicate effectively and work under stressful conditions
• Interest in chemistry, biology, psychology, general science, and algebra
• Strong attention to detail
Through your training, you will develop the skills and experience to enjoy a civilian career with hospitals, clinics, nursing homes, or rehabilitation centers. With a Mental Health Specialist background, you may consider a career as a psychiatrist's assistant, a medical assistant, or a physician's aide.
Earn While You Learn
Instead of paying to learn these skills, get paid to train. In the Army National Guard, you will learn these valuable job skills while earning a regular paycheck and qualifying for tuition assistance.
Job training for Mental Health Specialists consists of 10 weeks of Basic Training, where you'll learn basic Soldiering skills, and 20 weeks of Advanced Individual Training. Training consists of both classroom and field work.
- Paid training
- A monthly paycheck
- Montgomery GI Bill
- Federal and State tuition assistance
- Retirement benefits for part-time service
- Low-cost life insurance (up to $400,000 in coverage)
- 401(k)-type savings plan
- Student Loan Repayment Program (up to $50,000, for existing loans)
- Health care benefits available
- VA home loans
- Bonuses, if applicable
- Most non-prior service candidates will earn between $200 and $250 per drill weekend, subject to change
- Military enlistment in the Army National Guard
- Must be at least a junior in high school, or have a high school diploma or a GED certificate
- Must be between the ages of 17 and 35
- Must be able to pass a physical exam and meet legal and moral standards
- Must meet citizenship requirements (see NATIONALGUARD.com for details)
Requires military enlistment. Programs and benefits are subject to change. Ask your Army National Guard recruiter for the most up-to-date information. Actual MOS assignment may depend on MOS availability.
This position may qualify for a bonus, ask your National Guard recruiter for the most up-to-date information.
Keywords: Army National Guard, Jersey City , 68X Mental Health Specialist, Healthcare , Jersey City, New Jersey
Didn't find what you're looking for? Search again!