Director, Actuarial Software Development
Company: Arch Capital Group Ltd.
Location: Jersey City
Posted on: May 3, 2021
The Director of Actuarial Software Development provides
leadership in aligning data and application development with the
Actuarial group's business objectives. The leader provides overall
direction and guidance to developers and contract labor teams
within an agile framework. She/he drives software development
across multiple teams and phases to ensure execution of project
work plans. Partnering with digital product managers, the Director
sets department priorities and ensures software development
objectives are met. Helps drive the modernization of the Actuarial
technology stack and team and enables Actuarial teams to provide
actionable insights to improve Arch business outcomes. The Director
of Actuarial Software Development is a strong, delivery-minded
leader of people and a technologist with a passion for data,
analytics, and development at heart.
- Responsible for effective and timely development and
maintenance of technologies.
- Monitors all aspects of the Agile SDLC and Production Support
service levels. Ensures high level technical support is
- Works closely with customers, other IT managers, and management
to identify and maximize opportunities to use technology to improve
- Prepares business cases, including financial analyses of
potential new technologies. Evaluates based on company strategic
needs and resource availability.
- Oversees business analysis, development work, and quality
assurance of projects for assigned systems/technologies.
- Collaborates effectively at all levels to prepare strategic
plans. Ensures system requests tie into objectives of the company
strategic roadmap and budgets.
- Contributes to the development of information technology
development standards, policies, processes and procedures to ensure
consistent compatibility and integration across Arch.
- Continuously reviews the technology needs of supported business
functions/processes relative to new technological developments and
trends. Keeps abreast of the industry and emerging technology,
especially as it relates to data analytics and modeling.
- Participates in vendor, partner evaluations and monitors the
relationship on an ongoing basis.
- Leads and manages team to accomplish objectives through
effective recruitment & selection, training & development,
performance management and rewards & recognition.
- Works with stakeholders to modernize Actuarial technologies and
provide opportunities for better, faster processes through better,
yet secure, access to data and eliminate desktop work
- Builds, retains, and develops a strong modern actuarial/data
science oriented team
- Leads efforts by team to source more data from company
databases and available third party data marketplaces and services
to drive optimization and improvements of models, calculations, and
- Ensures automated test coverage across all technologies,
including testing model quality and A/B test frameworks, analyzing
performance, and data accuracy
- 5+ years of software/data development management experience,
with demonstrated experience leading, motivating, and developing
- Bachelor's degree in Statistics, Mathematics, Computer Science,
or a related quantitative field, or 10 years of related work
- Broad knowledge of software development techniques, processes,
methods, and best practices.
- Coding knowledge, with experience in several languages such as
- Experience leading or working with data sets and building,
reviewing models and reports
- Experience with relational / transactional databases and using
languages such as SQL and similar
- Experience with Excel / VBA, especially in the translation from
these tools into modern solutions
- Experience with APIs, external data providers (e.g., Snowflake
marketplace), and integration patterns
- Knowledge of application test automation tooling, processes,
and best practices, with model test quality and A/B testing a major
- Experience visualizing and presenting data for stakeholders
using Power BI (preferred) or other tools (Periscope, Tableau,
Business Objects, Looker, D3, ggplot, etc.)
- Experience in a highly regulated industry, such as insurance
and/or financial services
- Demonstrated ability to balance short term tactical wins with
longer-term strategic solutions and lay out same for teams to
achieve business benefit
- Strong problem solving skills with an emphasis on product
- Passion for the field, with a drive to continuously learn new
technologies and techniques
- Be able to present solutions and explain models to associates
and leaders at all levels
- Excellent oral and written communication skills with the
ability to communicate complex concepts to a technical/analytical
and non-technical/non-analytical audience
- Demonstrated ability to establish relationship and build
rapport to influence colleagues at all levels, uncover business
issues, and identify needs
- Experience working with, recommending, and creating data
- Experience integrating data science tools and processes with
Agile DevOps pipelines
- Experience sourcing and evaluating fitness of third party
datasets and data providers
- Experience querying analytic databases and using statistical
languages such as R, Python, etc.
- Experience with modern data and analytics platforms like
Snowflake, NoSQL, Map/reduce, RDBMS, etc.
- Experience with data science concepts and techniques such as
machine learning, statistical and data mining, algorithms,
- Actuarial or maths experience a plus
- Experience with data security
- Experience working in a hybrid on- and off-shore model
Arch Insurance is a global insurer offering our clients superior
coverage and service. We embody the Arch guiding principle of
focusing on retaining experienced and talented employees to
differentiate us from the rest of the pack. Our group operates from
offices in the US, Canada, Bermuda, UK, and Australia, providing
specialty risk solutions to clients worldwide across a wide range
of industries. With over ten years of operating history and strong
financial ratings, our track record remains solid.
Arch Insurance employs a disciplined underwriting approach and
prudent risk selection across all types of business. Our mission is
to provide our insureds with superb coverage and claims handling
through careful and diligent underwriting of risks and
business-friendly solutions. Across our global operations, Arch
Insurance employees are ready to meet your needs with
professionalism and excellence.
Keywords: Arch Capital Group Ltd., Jersey City , Director, Actuarial Software Development, Other , Jersey City, New Jersey
Didn't find what you're looking for? Search again!